This page describes the process of migrating to our new e-mail platform. Detailed information about our new platform can be found here (in Estonian) : https://blog.zone.ee/2018/11/16/tood-alustas-uus-e-posti-platvorm/
In order to initiate the transfer, please write a request to our customer support at firstname.lastname@example.org. The transfer is free of charge and there is now additional costs apply.
The transferring process is fully automated – all mailboxes are added to the new e-mail system and contents are copied. The usernames and passwords will remain the same, but as the server addresses will change, e-mail applications need to be reconfigured. The transfer will involve all mailboxes at once and all settings including forwarding, auto-replies will be moved as well. No emails will be lost during the transfer.
Our new platform users have access to our new Webmail at https://webmail.ee
Check if you are using our old or new email platform:
New server addresses
Only encrypted connections using SSL/TLS are allowed to connect to the new e-mail platform servers! After the migration, you should reconfigure the mail platform:
- SMTP outgoing server address is
- IMAP incoming server address is
- POP3 incoming server address is
- MX server address is
Previous setup of the email program will help choosing between IMAP and POP3! In most cases, the program settings indicate whether this is an IMAP or POP3 account!
Reconfigure the mail
By default, for IMAP accounts, just changing the name of the incoming mail server to imap.zone.eu is enough.
“INBOX” Path Prefix will disappear from the IMAP subfolders namespace (IMAP path prefix or Root folder path). Thus, for some mail clients, changing the name of the incoming mail server is not enough, because after switching to a new platform, the subfolders will not be displayed. В.
Besides changing the e-mail servers, some e-mail clients require the “INBOX” to be removed from the settings if the e-mail client supports changing the “personal namespace”. E-mail client has to be restarted after this change.
If the e-mail client doesn’t support “personal namespace” then the IMAP account has to be removed and added once again.
Using a POP3 mailbox, please consider that after changing the incoming mailserver to pop3.zone.eu in your e-mail client, last 500 emails are retrieved again, resulting in duplicate messages. There are few ways to avoid this:
- If your mail client is set to automatically delete older messages, then set it not to leave a copy of messages on the server before the transfer.
- If you are sure that all your messages are on the server (you can check it from Webmail) and copies are left on the server, then the easiest would be adding a new IMAP mail account and start to use IMAP instead of POP3.
If you are sure that everything is configured correctly, then change the address of the incoming POP3 server and outgoing SMTP mail. Make sure SSL is activated (More settings -> Advanced). After changing the addresses, the mail client should be restarted.
Mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) IMAP mailboxes
It’s recommended to delete the old mail accounts from mobile devices. Ensure that the new e-mail server settings are identified when adding a new account. A wrong IMAP Path Prefix will be used if an application logs in with old server settings – in that case, delete the account and add it again.
Outlook 2016/2019 IMAP mailbox
In order to change the incoming server, do the following:
- Change the incoming server to
- From the left of the menu, take
- In the
- Choose an account and click
- Empty the
Root folder pathfield (Delete INBOX)
OKand restart Outlook
Outlook 2010 IMAP mailbox
Changing the incoming and outgoing server for an existing account is sufficient. A restart for Outlook is needed after the change.
Outlook for iOS (IMAP)
Make sure that the app is up to date. Then delete the old e-mail account and add a new one.
In case of an error: “Unable to log in. Please check your email address and password and try again“, then delete all the associated accounts, uninstall and install the app again. Then add the account again.
Thunderbird IMAP mailbox
In order to change the mailbox:
- Go to
- Change the server to
- Change the Connection security: SSL/TLS
- Delete the contents of ‘Personal namespace‘ and ‘Public (shared)‘. Click
- Now select in the left panel
- Next to your active SMTP server click
- In the popup window change server name to
smtp.zone.euand make sure selected port is 587
- Change the Connection security to STARTTLS
- The changes are implemented after restarting Thunderbird
Mac Mail IMAP mailbox
It’s recommended to add an entirely new IMAP account for Mac Mail (System preferences -> Internet Accounts -> ‘+’).
If an incoming server address is modified and IMAP Path Prefix is deleted, then a new account is added in the background and old will be deactivated. Subfolders will not work with an account added like this.
Instructions for adding an account for Mac Mail: https://help.zone.eu/kb/mac-os-x-high-sierra/
Gmail POP mailbox
- Go to Settings
- Choose Accounts and Import
- To change the incoming server settings:
- On Check mail from other accounts click edit info
- Replace the server name in POP Server :
- Check Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail
- Save Changes
- To change the outgoing server settings:
- On Send mail as click edit info
- Next Step
- Replace the server name in SMTP Server:
- Choose Secured connection using TLS
- Save Changes
Re-adding email accounts
If you wish to once again add email account in to your email program, then instructions can be found here:
- The duration of the transfer depends on the size of the mailboxes and takes about 5 to 15 minutes per gigabyte.
- You can access the old e-mail servers 24 hours after the transfer.
- All emails in different sent mail folders (Sent Items, Sent Messages, Sent Mail, Sent) will be moved to one Sent Mail folder. There is no need to configure it separately – mail clients will identify the correct sent folder.
- Mails without an attachment and over 16MB will not be transferred.
- “E-mail forwarding” will change to a “copy address” – Previously set forwarding e-mails will remain.
- E-mail account will be made into “Forwarded account”, in the case there is less then 1MB of space used in the old server.
- The frequency of auto-replies cannot be set anymore. If turned on, an auto-reply does not send a reply not more than once every 4 hours.
- Auto-reply will be sent only To: and CC: addresses.
- It’s not possible to set up global spamfilter rules anymore. If a global spamfilter rule exists, then a rule will be applied separately to each mailbox during the transfer.
- The antivirus cannot be turned off and an email with a virus will be rejected instantly.
- Only encrypted connections are allowed.
- All the detected spam email will be automatically moved to the Spam folder (Junk) and will be deleted after 30 days. Emails marked as Spam cannot be modified.
- Emails in the trash (Trash) will be deleted automatically after 30 days.
- A dot in the username doesn’t make a difference anymore (email@example.com is the same as firstname.lastname@example.org).
- After a mailbox is deleted, it’s put to quarantine for 14 days before final deletion. It’s possible to restore the mailbox during these 14 days. After that, the mailbox and it’s contents will be permanently deleted.
- If your password contained diaeresis (õ, ä, ö, ü) or Cyrillic in the old e-mail system, then it’s possible it will not work on the nw platform. The solution for this would be to change the password or to add an application password.
- E-mails that violate DMARC rules and come from domains which have DMARC policy set to reject will be denied by server automatically.
Filters / rules
New e-mail platform allows server-side filters (rules). The filters are applied when the e-mail is received by the mail server – filters are already applied before it is moved to mailbox (That means filters are applied equally to all e-mail applications that you use). Therefore, it’s recommended to add all filters again.
The owner of the mailbox can add a filter via Webmail in Settings -> Filters.
How to check if a mailbox is transferred?
A notification is sent to your e-mail address after the transfer is complete. You’ll see another notification e-mail, when you send a letter using the old e-mail servers.